Mediation is a process in which disputing parties engage the services of a neutral third party to assist them in reaching their own mutually satisfactory resolution to an issue.
Often the presence of a neutral third party can be essential in resolving conflict. We will impartially listen to all sides, facilitate and foster open and constructive communication, and assist disputing parties in reaching mutually agreeable solutions. As neutral facilitators, we will work with clients to clarify issues, identify interests, facilitate understanding and dialogue and generate outcomes for resolution.
The benefits of Mediation include:
- Cost effective – organizations can minimise costs of dispute resolution
- Quick – process may take one day or less
- More satisfactory outcomes for parties – since agreement is jointly negotiated it results in more satisfaction and better adherence to agreements
- Flexible – solutions are not limited by precedent/law and can be tailored to the individual situation
- Non-confrontational – can preserve and improve relationships
- Private and confidential – avoids public disclosure
- Mediation works. Experience has shown that the vast majority of cases in mediation settle on the first day. Many of the cases unresolved in the first session settle within a month.
Mediation may be appropriate when:
- Parties want to preserve a valuable relationship
- There is a limited number of parties
- Legal costs are disproportionate to the amount of money in dispute
- Delay resulting from litigation would be unacceptable
- A tailored/complex solution is needed
- Issues involved are sensitive, confidential, emotional or personal
- Mediation can successfully be used to resolve disputes in any area or any type of conflict including Civil Matters, Commercial/Contract Issues, Negligence Claims, Personal Injury Claims, Insurance, Family Disputes, Human Rights, Workplace/ Organizational Conflict, Debtor-Creditor Issues, Property & Estate Issues, Environmental & Municipal Issues, Construction/Engineering Disputes, Healthcare Conflict and many others.